Nannette Fuller URL http://nfuller37franklin.blogspot.com/
What is Popular Culture?
Popular (or pop) culture is anything from lifestyles, beliefs, persons, or items that are extremely well known and widespread within a popularion. They effect not only my life, but my career in many ways. Pop culture directs they way I shop, how I raise my kids, and even how well my business functions. Current pop culture sets the stage for retail giants and previous pop culture directs many businesses.
Example of Pop Culture Artifact
I have selected the teenage music star Justin Bieber his current status and remarkable “social media” relation for my pop culture blob artifact. I was pulled into the Bieber world thanks to my 10 year old daughter. Justin Biebers success as a musician is completely due to social media such as Twitter, Facebook, blogging, and Youtube. “Justin Bieber is popular right now because, he "has a lot of fans who like to tweet about him,” (Crum, 2010) . His quick rise to fame, deep impact to preteen and teenage girl hearts (much like the Beetles in their day), and unique way to stardom makes him a current pop culture topic.
Justin Bieber Image from Yahoo.com/images
References:
Crum, C. (2010, March 27). Twitter Business Lessions from Justin Bieber. Retrieved 2011 May, 2010, from webpronews: http://www.webpronews.com/twitter-business-lessons-from-justin-bieber-2010-03
The Beebs is a perfect example of what pop culture. Do you see him having staying power for the next 10 years? In today's always changing interests, he is a great example of our views. My ten year old daughter also likes him and has the "fever". It makes wonder without the technology we have today, would we even know who Justin Bieber is? I say no.
ReplyDeleteI personal would agree with you. I didnt have a clue who J.B. was till I heard about Never Say Never in theatres. Then my daughter came home with folders that she drew hearts around. I have since bought her several movies and posters.. (among other stuff). I've watched the movies with her and I agree there would not be "Bieber Feaver" without social media. He got lucky from a video on You Tube. He may have become a star eventually, but never the way he is now!
ReplyDelete