Icon Analysis
There are hundreds of possible pop culture icons in the world. I have picked three contemporary icons for this paper. My first icon is Oprah Winfrey who just aired her final episode May 25th after doing her T.V show for 25 years. My second icon is the 1960’s music group The Beatles. Finally, my third icon is the ever loving, laugh making, cartoon character Bugs Bunny.
Oprah Winfrey is an icon in my opinion because of the lives she touched around the world by a simple talk show. Her work around the globe from everything from Morehouse College to Female Empowerment will live on long after her show. During her final shows this past week the impact on just how many lives she touched was made real clear between the 300 plus men from Morehouse College, to the over 64,000 kids on the “went to school” board. While I did not watch every episode of Oprah, I saw enough to feel her message and see the impact. As a 30 year old female, her work touched my heart and opened my eyes for the future.
The Beatles were huge in the 1960’s for several reasons. Their music, actions, followers, and well, everything about them carried them to huge fame and controversy. A group of 4 guys made girls scream, dream, fall in love, and even faint. Parents of the time normally were on the losing end of a “culture” battle. To this day many musical artists credit The Beatles for their success. Without the work of the Beatles music may not be “as we know it”. As a huge musical person the Beatles are a big part of my world. Personally, I am not a big fan of their music but of only select songs. However, the importance of their message, dedication, and stubbornness is forever part of music history.
As my third icon I picked Bugs Bunny. This cute, lovable, huggable, “wrascally wrabit” has been around long before I was ever born, yet not only did I grow up watching him, but now my children are. In a world of rushing to get things done, stressful jobs, violence, and constant uncertainty we can always turn to the T.V. and share a good belly laugh with our families thanks to Bugs Bunny. Bugs Bunny made it in my top three icons because of the generations of people growing up with him. It is important to me to have such icons in my families’ lives, and hope it can love on for feature generations.



No comments:
Post a Comment